Meeting researchers from other countries and academic cultures can provide new perspectives on third-cycle education. Swedish higher education institutions (HEIs) have excellent contacts with HEIs in other countries.

Research is an international activity and contacts with foreign researchers are necessary and important. Spending time studying at an overseas HEI can provide valuable experience and many subjects include international fieldwork as part of the course.

Among Swedish doctoral students there is most interest in studying in other European countries or the US. There are agreements for student mobility within the Nordic region and the EU, and for other countries agreements are made directly between the HEIs. Many students also take their own initiatives to study overseas.


HEIs have varying opportunities to award grants for overseas stays. There are often good opportunities to spend at least a short time overseas. Research councils, research foundations and some public authorities can award grants for studying overseas.

Supervisors can usually help with finding funding for doctoral students to participate in, or organise, international congresses. Someone employed as a doctoral student should receive a subsistence allowance, which someone who just has a doctoral grant is not entitled to.


Erasmus+ is the EU’s new programme for European cooperation in education. It runs for the period 2014-2020.

About Erasmus+

About Erasmus+ at the European Commission’s website

European programmes

The framework programme often requires that a research and development project has an international partnership. It is therefore difficult to obtain financing as an individual student. More information about European programmes and partnerships is available on Vinnova’s website.



The Swedish Foundation for International Cooperation in Research and Higher Education (STINT) offers a number of stipends to support internationalisation.


Page last updated 2017-09-01