Independent higher education providers are universities and university colleges that are managed by a body and not the government, for example a foundation or association. Here you can find out more about this type of institution.

The following universities and university colleges are independent higher education providers: 

  • Chalmers University of Technology
  • Jönköping University
  • Stockholm School of Economics
  • The Newman Institute University College
  • Beckman's College of Design
  • Ersta Sköndal Bräcke University College
  • Gammelkroppa skogsskola
  • Johannelunds teologiska högskola
  • Red Cross University College
  • Sophia Hemmet University
  • Stockholms Musikpedagogiska Institut
  • University College Stockholm
  • Örebro School of Theology

There are even a few institutions with degree-awarding powers for psychotherapy education:

  • The Swedish Insitute for CBT & Schema Therapy
  • Evidens AB
  • The Erica Foundation
  • Stockholms Akademi för Psykoterapiutbildning

Your rights if you study at an independent higher education provider

Independent higher education providers receive permission from the government to award certain higher education degrees, not from the Swedish Higher Education Authority. You can find out how they work in the law texts regarding degree-awarding powers for certain higher education qualifications (1993:792). Most of the laws that regulate universities and university colleges and other government agencies do not apply to independent education providers. As a student, this means that you for example don't have the same possibilities for appealing an admissions decision, and supervision is limited.

Page last updated 2021-02-23