There are laws and regulations that support your right to participate in your education. Find out more about what accomodations you can request and receive from your university or university college.

On leave for studies

If you are employed, you have the legal right to take a leave of absence from your job for studies. You must have been employed at least 6 months in a row, or a total of 12 months during the past 2 years. Remember to officially request a leave of absence from your job long before your studies commence. Your employer has the right to defer your leave of absence for 6 months, meaning you can't leave your job for studies until 6 months has passed.

What can I request from my university/university college?

When teaching sessions and examinations are scheduled, the university must consider religious holidays so that all students can participate. You have the right to receive any changes in your schedule well ahead of time so you can plan. Most universities have internal regulations and guidelines so that you as a student understand what your rights are in regard to your university.

Do you have a disability?

If you have a disability, you have the right to study at a university or university college with the same conditions as other students whenever possible.

You have the right to pedagogical support in order to complete your studies. Some examples of help available to you are:

  • special arrangements for examinations
  • scheduling accomodations
  • literature support, such as audio books, electronic textbooks or braille
  • note-taking support
  • mentor or extra supervision
  • sign language interpreter

Find more information at (in English)

Page last updated 2017-09-01