If you are going to study abroad you must make sure you are properly insured.

When you are studying abroad you must have good life and personal accident insurance, and a liability insurance.

Medical care within the EU

If you are studying in an EU/EEA country you are entitled to that country's healthcare benefits. However, you must have the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This can be ordered from Försäkringskassan. Försäkringskassan also has information from the countries with which Sweden has healthcare agreements.

Försäkringskassan's information on studies abroad

Private health insurance may be required in other countries

If you are going to study in a country outside the EU/EEA, healthcare is not paid for by Försäkringskassan – instead you must have private health insurance. Contact an insurance company for more information about overseas insurance. If a Swedish insurance company does not fulfil the requirements, you must take out insurance in the host country.

Check your home insurance

Check whether your home insurance is valid for the possessions you take abroad with you. You should also check whether travel insurance is included in your home insurance and for what period of time overseas it is valid.

If an accident happens

If you fall ill when studying abroad or have an accident, you must register this with CSN (the Swedish Board of Student Finance) and send a doctor’s certificate. If you are insured, you can get help from SOS International in Copenhagen.

SOS International can help you when you're abroad

Will you be travelling as an exchange student?

Sometimes, students on exchange programmes are covered by a general personal injury insurance policy called Student UT. If so, your university has taken out this insurance with Kammarkollegiet (the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency). Contact your university for more information.

Information on student insurance from Kammarkollegiet

More information about insurance

Contact the overseas university at which you will be studying for more information about what insurance you should have.

Page last updated 2019-03-13