Sometimes your foreign qualifications need to be assessed before you can continue.

Education systems vary between countries, so not all studies at overseas universities are equivalent to Swedish higher education. The differences between education systems may mean that you cannot have all the credits from your studies transferred, even if you studied at an approved university.

If you studied as part of an exchange programme you should normally be able to include those studies as part of a Swedish qualification, provided that you complied with the syllabus agreed to with your university.

Continuing education in Sweden

If you want to continue to study in Sweden, you should contact the university at which you wish to study. It is always the university that determines which credits from your overseas studies can be transferred.

Working in Sweden

If you have a higher education qualification from another country, you can have it evaluated by the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR). You will then receive a recognition statement you can use when applying for work, to explain how your foreign qualification compare to Swedish qualifications. The statement briefly describes the Swedish degree to which your qualification is equivalent. This makes things easier, both for you and for potential employers. 

Regulated professions

The Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) does not evaluate courses/programmes that lead to professions that are regulated in Sweden. This includes doctors, lawyers and psychologists. A regulated profession means that authorisation or certification is required to be able to practice the profession in Sweden. If you wish to work in any of the regulated professions you should contact the competent authority and apply for the right to practice that profession.

Read more about recognition of foreign qualifications and regulated professions at UHR's website

Page last updated 2019-02-13