As an asylum-seeker in Sweden, you may study at the higher education level if you meet the entry requirements. Please note that until you receive a residence permit, you'll be required to pay application and tuition fees.

What are the requirements to study in Sweden?

In order to be eligible for university studies in Sweden, you must meet the entry requirements. Basically, to study university courses at the bachelor's level, you need to have completed an upper secondary (high school) programme that would allow you to study at a university in your home country. For studies at the master's level, you need a completed bachelor's degree. You also need to demonstrate a specific level of English for courses taught in English. For studies completed after 31 December 2009, there is also a mathematics requirement.

Your age and where you are from has no bearing on whether you can study in Sweden. 

You can find out more about studying at the higher education level in Sweden here at You can also read more about entry requirements at the website for applying to university studies -

Find out more about entry requirements at

Do I have to pay application and tuition fees?

Applicants with a Swedish temporary or permanent resident permit granted for reasons other than studies do not have to pay fees.

If you're an asylum-seeker and have not yet been granted a resident permit, you must pay application and tuition fees. There are, unfortunately, no exceptions that can be made to this rule. 

There are other situations that may grant you a waiver. You can read more about fees at Application and tuition fees.

Can I study while waiting for my residence permit decision?

You can study at the university level, but you'll be considered a fee-paying student until your resident permit has been issued. 

I don't have my education documents with me and am not sure I'm going to be able to get them. What should I do?

It's possible for an applicant to show they meet the entry requirements without the required documentation. It's up to the university to which you apply to review your situation with you. If you find a university you're interested in, contact the guidance office there to speak with someone about your options. You can find contact information on the university's website.

Find university contact information

Page last updated 2021-03-01