You may be eager to enter the job market, but aren't sure how your foreign qualifications are interpreted here in Sweden. Knowing more about them can help you determine if you can get a job right away, or should spend time studying.

Studying at a Swedish upper secondary school, vocational school or university isn't by any means a requirement for working in Sweden. Many individuals find their foreign qualifications are sought after in Sweden, making finding a job easier. But how do you know how your qualifications compare to Swedish qualifications? You can find out by using the assessment tool or applying for an assessment.

Qualifications assessment tool

If you'd like a quick answer to what your foreign qualification compares to in Sweden, you can use the assessment tool. Not all countries and qualifications are included, but many are and the list continues to grow.

You can download the response you get as a PDF and use it when applying for jobs. This helps the employer understand what your qualification compares to in Sweden.

Search for your qualification using the assessment tool

Recognition statement for all countries

If your qualification isn't available in the assessment tool, you can have it assessed by a credentials officer. The result of this assessment is a recognition statement which shows what your foreign qualification compares to in the Swedish education system. You can use the recognition statement when applying for jobs.

The service is free of charge and only available to individuals living in Sweden at the time of application.

The following types of qualifications can be assessed:

  • upper secondary
  • higher vocational education
  • higher education

Find out more about the recognition process

Job purposes versus applying for studies

If you're applying for university studies in Sweden, an evaluation of your qualifications will take place as part of the application process, where it will be determined if you meet the entry requirements for the course or programme. As such, you do not need a recognition statement for the purposes of studying in Sweden.

Professional qualifications

Not all professional qualifications are assessed by UHR. Certain professions are requlated by Swedish law which dictates what professional qualifications must be met in order to work in that profession. Recognition in this case is provided by the appropriate authority.

Read more at UHR's website regarding professional qualifications

Teaching certification

If you're a teacher and wish to be certified to teach in Sweden, you must have your qualifications evaluated by the Swedish National Agency for Education - Skolverket. You can find out how to complete this process by visiting Skolverket's website:

Information about teacher certification at

Information for teachers here at

Swedish Council for Higher Education - the responsible authority

The Swedish Council for Higher Education (Universitets- och högskolerådet, UHR) is responsible for the recognition process for foreign qualifications for job purposes. You submit your application to them and they'll provide you with a document containing the result of their review. (UHR is responsible for, the website you're reading right now!)

Page last updated 2023-10-12