If you've completed a degree programme in a foreign country, you can supplement it with additional studies in Sweden. Supplementary programmes provide you with the knowledge you need in order to enter the Swedish labour market in your field.

What is a supplementary programme?

Supplementary programmes have been available in Sweden since the early 1990s. They help new arrivals with foreign qualifications enter the workforce in their occupation. 

Some supplementary programmes help individuals acquire the necessary qualifications in order to practise their profession in Sweden. These professions are called regulated professions.

Other supplementary programmes provide more general knowledge of Swedish society and working in their field in Sweden.

Regulated professions

Swedish law outlines the specific requirements that must be fulfilled in order to work in certain occupations. These occupations are called regulated professions. These professions may require:

  • a specific degree or qualification
  • a license
  • other formal recognition

Supplementary programmes provide an individual who has a qualification and work experience in a profession from a foreign country with what is required in order to work in the occupation in Sweden. 

Find out more about regulated professions at Uhr.se

Practical aspects about supplementary programmes

Supplementary programmes are:

  • a maximum of 120 credits
  • between 1 and 2 years in length
  • eligible for financial aid from the Swedish Board of Student Finance (CSN)

How do I find a supplementary programme for my profession?

You can use the 'Hitta och jämför utbildning' function at the Swedish version of Studera.nu and search for 'kompletterande'. Kompletterande is the Swedish word for supplementary. You'll be provided with a list of the supplementary programmes available at Swedish universities.

We have also provided a list of the programmes available under "What supplementary programmes are available and for what fields?".

At this time, there is no search available for supplementary programmes in English on Studera.nu. A suggestion is to visit a guidance counsellor and have them help you search for supplementary programmes. Once you get to the university's website, most have information about these programmes in English.

Find information on finding a guidance counsellor

What supplementary programmes are available and for what fields?

The following is a list of the various professions in which supplementary programmes are available, as well as information regarding what universities offer these programmes. You can also find links to more information at 'Hitta och jämför utbildning' on the Swedish version of Studera.nu.

Please note that the language of instruction for supplementary programmes is usually Swedish.

School of the arts teacher, 90 credits

Six universities offer a teacher education course for individuals with competence in the arts who wish to work at a school of the arts. If you have a foreign degree in an artistic subject area, you can supplement all or part of your education in order to teach in a music or culture school. University of Gothenburg, Lund University, University of Karlstad, Luleå University of Technology, Stockholm University and Umeå University all offer supplementary programmes. 

Biomedical scientist, 90 credits

You can find supplementary programmes at Uppsala University, University of Gothenburg, Linköping University and Kristianstad University. The programme offers the opportunity to obtain a biomedical science licence from The National Board of Health and Welfare. 

Dentist, 60 credits

You can find supplementary programmes at University of Gothenburg, Malmö University and Karolinska Institutet. 

Medical Doctor, 60 or 120 credits 

You can find supplementary programmes at University of Gothenburg, Linköping University, Lunds University and Karolinska Institutet (60 credits). 

Midwifery, 60 credits

This programme is aimed at persons with a Postgraduate Diploma in Midwifery from a country outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland who wish to receive their midwifery licence. You can find supplementary programmes at Karolinska institutet.

Nursing, 60 credits

This supplementary programme is aimed at those with a foreign degree in nursing and permission from The National Board for Health and Welfare to participate in a supplementary programme for nursing. Participating higher education institutions are Karolinska Institutet, University of Gothenburg, Luleå University of Technology, Linnaeus University, and University of Gävle.

Pharmacist, 70 credits

If you have a foreign degree in pharmacy, you can find supplementary programmes at University of Gothenburg and Uppsala University (distance course). 

Psychologist, 90 or 120 credits

You can find supplementary programmes at Lund University (90 credits), Umeå University (90 credits) and Uppsala University (120 credits).

Solicitor, 120 credits

You can find supplementary programmes at Stockholm University.

Teacher, 120 credits

You can find supplementary programmes at Linköping University, Malmö University, Stockholm University, University of Gothenburg, Umeå University, and Örebro University. 

Page last updated 2023-12-21