Some professions are regulated by Swedish Law. This means that if you have a foreign professional degree, you must have it formally recognised before you can practice that profession in Sweden.

Many professionals - such as psychologists, veterinarians and nurses - wish to continue working within their profession in Sweden. A requirement is to have your qualifications reviewed by the appropriate authority.

What professions are regulated in Sweden?

There are a number of professions that require authorisation or formal recognition from a Swedish authority. The Swedish Council for Higher Education (Universitets- och högskolerådet) maintains a list with links to the appropriate authority.

Read more about regulated professions at

Are you an EU Citizen?

There are rules and regulations in place in the European Union making it easier for professionals to work within their field in another EU country.

You can read more about what applies to you as an EU Citizen at the website of the European Commission.

You can also find information at the Swedish Council for Higher Education's website.

Read about working in another EU/EEA country

Page last updated 2023-10-12