In most cases, if you're a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, or have  a Swedish permanent or temporary residence permit not based on studies, you do not have to pay application and tuition fees for higher education studies.

Students with a Swedish personal identity number

When you submit your application on or, an electronic check of your personal identity number is completed with the Swedish Tax Agency and the Swedish Migration Agency. If you're a Swedish citizen, or have the right residence permit, your status will be automatically updated to "not required to pay fees".

Find out more about application and tuition fees

Information for applicants with a Swedish personal ID number (personnummer)

Students with citizenship in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland

If you're an EU/EEA citizen, or have Swiss citizenship, you're not required to pay application and tuition fees. You do, however, need to document your citizenship. You can do this by submitting a copy of your passport, or other ID document. You can find out more about how to do this at

Read more about EU/EEA citizens and documentation requirements at

Who must pay?

If you're a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland and do not have a Swedish permanent residence permit or temporary residence permit not based on studies, you're required to pay application and tuition fees. There are some exceptions though, including some family members of EU citizens and currently registered students. 

Find out more about if you're required to pay

The application fee is 900 SEK and is paid when the applicant first applies for admission. The number of courses or programmes or even universities you apply to has no effect on the application fee - it is always 900 SEK. Once you're a registered student and studying, you don't have to pay the application fee for later semesters.

Universities and university colleges decide themselves the amount of the tuition fee. You can find out how much a course or programme costs by doing a search on, or by looking at the website of the university.

Find out more about tuition fees 

Information for students currently studying in Sweden

Applying for doctoral studies?

Doctoral applicants are not required to pay application or tuition fees.

Page last updated 2024-03-15