It can be quite an adjustment for many students to live on a student budget. In this section, you can find information about student financial aid and scholarships.

If you're a Swedish citizen, a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, or have a residence permit in Sweden not based on studies, you are not required to pay application or tuition fees to study in Sweden. You will, however, need to pay for living costs, such as food, housing, clothes and textbooks.

Read more about application and tuition fees

Am I eligible for financial aid?

Swedish citizens are eligible for financial aid if they meet the basic requirements. Additional rules apply for students with foreign citizenship. In general, a student must meet the requirements for Swedish citizens and must also have a permanent Swedish residence permit. There are other rules that apply for EU/EEA citizens. You should consult the Swedish Board of Student Finance's (CSN) website for more detailed information on eligibility for financial aid.

Find information for citizens of foreign countries at CSN's website

Financial aid for studies from the Swedish Board of Student Finance (CSN)

For students who are eligible for financial aid from CSN, here are some facts:

  • You can only apply for financial aid for one year at a time.
  • You can submit your application at any time during the year, but you can only receive financial aid from four weeks before the date your application arrives at CSN. You cannot receive financial aid retroactive to the beginning of an academic year unless your application arrives within 4 weeks from the start date.
  • Your financial aid is in the form of a grant and loan.
  • You decide yourself how much you want to borrow through the loan portion.
  • You only pay the loan back, not the grant.
  • The loan has low interest and doesn't require security. Your repayment period is long.
  • You can apply for just the grant.
  • You receive less aid if you study part-time.

Find out more about financial aid at CSN's website

Will Brexit affect student aid for studies in the UK?

There are different rules that apply if you study within or outside the EU/EEA. Brexit can eventually affect your student aid for studies in the UK.

Find out more about Brexit and student aid at CSN's website

CSN and study results

The first time you apply for financial aid, you aren't required to document any previous study results. After you've begun your studies, you must receive a certain number of credits per semester in order to continue to have the right to financial aid. You can find more information at CSN's website. This information is only available in Swedish.


A scholarship is study assistance from donations or a specific allocation or grant that doesn't need to be paid back. Please note that there are very few scholarships available for students in Sweden.

Where do I find scholarships to apply for?

Scholarship are offered from a number of different places, including universities, associations, foundations, banks, law firms and private individuals. You can find more information about what's available at universities, religious organisations, schools, municipalities and county administrations. Most libraries have scholarship handbooks.

Some scholarships have specific criteria the applicant must fulfil, while others are available to everyone. We've listed some of the more common websites, with links:

Go to Länsstyrelsernas database (in Swedish)

Read about Swedish Institute scholarships

Read about scholarships for studies from trade unions (in Swedish)

Page last updated 2021-10-13