On this page, we provide answers to some of the most common questions about Erasmus+ student exchanges. For more detailed information, talk to your university.

Who do I talk to about applying for an Erasmus+ grant?

Talk to your guidance counsellor or the international officer at your department/the university at which you’re studying.

How much money can I receive through the Erasmus+ programme?

Everyone who is granted an exchange place as part of Erasmus+ also receives a grant. The amount is between 400 and 510 euro per month, depending on the country and the length of the exchange.

If you go on a blended mobility, you'll receive a grant of 70 euro per day between days 5 - 14. Between days 15 – 30, the size of the grant will be 50 euro per day. You'll also receive a travel grant based on the distance from your home university to your host destination.

Erasmus+ is primarily a physical study abroad programme which means that participants will most likely travel to their study destination. Because trips leave a carbon foot print, you may in some cases receive an additional grant of 50 euro if you decide on a more environmentally-friendly way of travelling. Additionally, you may also receive funding for those extra days it takes to travel to your destination.

Is my student funding reduced when I get an Erasmus+ grant?


Can I study a complete degree programme abroad as part of the Erasmus programme?

No. You can only study part of your degree abroad through the Erasmus+ programme. As a student, you can study in another country for 2-12 months and the credits from your exchange studies should be able to be transferred to your Swedish degree. However, it's possible to apply for European student funding for a Master’s programme in another European country.

Are other grants or scholarships available?

The Swedish Institute administers a number of different programmes with individual grants. There are also numerous grant-giving organisations and foundations that offer funding. Many libraries have grant/scholarship handbooks that provide more information. You could also talk with a guidance counsellor or international officer. Keep in mind that you may not receive more than one grant from the EU or the Swedish Council for Higher Education per period of study.

When is the application deadline for an Erasmus+ place?

The date varies between universities. For more information, talk to your guidance counsellor or the Erasmus+ representative at your department or university.

Can I take part in an Erasmus+ exchange more than once?

Yes, although with some limitations.

The maximum permitted time is 12 months for exchanges (studies and/or traineeship) per cycle. This means 12 months for Bachelor’s/first cycle, 12 months for Master’s/second-cycle and 12 months for doctoral/third-cycle.

If I have a disability, can I receive extra funding for a student exchange?

Yes. A great deal is done within Erasmus+ to make it easier for people with disabilities to participate in exchanges. For example, you can receive extra funding for special transports, personal assistants, assistance during lectures and specialist material. Talk to your university for more information.

Does the Swedish Council for Higher Education help with visa applications?

No. The visa application process differs between countries and also depends on whether or not the country is part of the Schengen Area. Talk to the department or international office at your university for advice, or read more at Study in Europe.

Find out more about residence permits and visas

Can I have the credits transferred after an Erasmus+ exchange?

Yes. You study on the same terms as the host country’s students and can have all your credits transferred through the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). For more information, talk to the guidance counsellor at your department or the international office at your university.

Can anyone travel abroad via Erasmus+?

There are no citizenship requirements for participation in Erasmus+, but you must be registered at a Swedish university. Ask the guidance counsellor at your department about the opportunities available to you.

Page last updated 2023-12-05