Anyone can become ill or be involved in an accident. Find out more about what you can do about your studies if you find yourself in this situation.

The public universities and university colleges, as well as Chalmers University of Technology and Jönköping University, have a responsibility to ensure their students have access to healthcare and personal injury insurance. Private higher education institutions do not have such a requirement.

Contact the student health office

Student health works with the prevention and support of students' physical and mental health. Each student health office has counsellors and psychologists available. 

Find your student health office att Studenthä

Student health online

Studenthä is your portal to student health, no matter where or how you study in Sweden. Here you will find facts, advice, tips, events and interviews that can provide you with tips and advice for improved well-being. They also give advice on challenges that international students face when coming to study in Sweden.


If an accident occurs

Students at a public university or university college are covered by a personal injury insurance during their study time and on their way to and from the institution. Private higher education institutions are not required to have any type of personal injury insurance. Contact your university if you'd like more information regarding insurance.

If you're involved in an accident, you can be reimbursed for:

  • doctor visits
  • medicines (prescriptions)
  • physical therapy
  • trips for health care appointments
  • other related expenses

Find addresses to universities and university colleges

Report from your first sick day to Försäkringskassan

If you become ill and can't study, you must contact Försäkringskassan the first day you're ill. 

If you get sick during your studies, at Försäkringskassan

What happens with the student financial aid?

If you have student financial aid, you automatically have insurance protection. This means that you can keep your student aid while you're ill, even if you're not able to study. This is also the case if you're home caring for an ill child or relative. You can also have the loan portion of your financial aid cancelled after a 30 day waiting period.

Insurance and your financial aid, at Försäkringskassan

If you become ill abroad

Within the EU/EEA area and Switzerland, you as a student have the right to medical care if you need it during the time you're planning on being abroad. Remember that the foreign health care provider you visit must be connected to the country's public health care system. Don't forget to take your European Health Insurance Card (EU-kortet) with you. You can order this card on Försäkringskassan's website.

Medical care abroad, at Försäkringskassan

Order a European Health Insurance Card (in Swedish)

Download the European Health Insurance Card app, at the European Commission

Page last updated 2024-02-14