If you've completed a bachelor's degree in a foreign country and meet the English and/or Swedish requirements for the course or programme, you can apply for master's level studies in Sweden.

Sweden offers a number of master's programmes taught in English. There are also programmes offered at master's level that are taught in Swedish.

In order to be eligible for higher education studies in Sweden, you must meet the general and specific entry requirements. 

What do I need to qualify for master's studies?

In general, if you wish to study a master's course or programme taught in English, you must have a bachelor's degree from an internationally recognised university and demonstrate proficiency in English. You must also meet any specific entry requirements for the course or programme. You can find much more information about what is required at Universityadmissions.se.

Read more about entry requirements at Universityadmissions.se

If you wish to study a master's programme of 1 or 2 years taught in Swedish, you can find what's offered by searching at Antagning.se (information in Swedish).

Read more about master's programme at Antagning.se

Are there other ways to meet the English or Swedish requirement?

If you wish to study courses and programmes taught in English, you'll need to prove you meet the English language requirement. You can do this through:

  • certain upper secondary courses (depending on the country of study)
  • taking an internationally recognised English test, such as IELTS or TOEFL
  • studying English at Komvux

If you've achieved an excellent level of Swedish and wish to study at university in Swedish, you can demonstrate your abilities through:

  • studying Swedish at Komvux
  • taking the TISUS test (Test in Swedish for University Studies)

Information about internationally recognised English tests at Universityadmissions.se

Information about the TISUS test at Stockholm University's website

Page last updated 2024-03-15