There are laws and regulations that support your right to participate in your education. Find out more about what you can request and receive from your university or university college.

On leave for studies

If you are employed, you have the legal right to take a leave of absence from your job for studies. You must have been employed at least 6 months in a row, or a total of 12 months during the past 2 years. Remember to officially request a leave of absence from your job long before your studies start. Your employer has the right to defer your leave of absence for 6 months, meaning you can't leave your job for studies until 6 months has passed.

Do you have a disability?

If you have a disability, you have the right to study at a university or university college with the same conditions as other students whenever possible.

You have the right to pedagogical support in order to complete your studies. Some examples of help available to you are:

  • special arrangements for examinations
  • scheduling accommodations
  • literature support, such as audio books, electronic textbooks or braille
  • note-taking support
  • mentor or extra supervision
  • sign language interpreter

You can speak with the university's disability coordinator for more information.

Find contact information for Swedish universities


Page last updated 2021-03-02