Higher education in Sweden is regulated by different types of laws. Find out more about what laws and regulations apply if you wish to submit a complaint or an appeal.

The laws and regulations that govern higher education in Sweden are:

  • the Swedish Higher Education Act
  • the Higher Education Ordinance
  • the Statute Book of the Swedish Council for Higher Education

The Swedish Higher Education Authority (UKÄ) is the government agency that examines and carries out inspections so that universities and university colleges follow the laws and regulations. However, the universities and university colleges can regulate a lot on their own. 

Laws that govern higher education

1. Swedish Higher Education Act (Högskolelagen)

Higher education in Sweden is governed first and foremost by the Higher Education Act, which is enacted by Parliament. The guidelines by which universities' and university colleges' operations are to be conducted are found here.

The Swedish Higher Education Act

2. Higher Education Ordinance (Högskoleförordningen)

The Higher Education Ordinance is enacted by the Government and is a much more detailed complement to the Swedish Higher Education Ordinance. For example, you can find the regulations regarding admission in the ordinance.

The Higher Education Ordinance

3. Statute Book for the Swedish Council for Higher Education (Universitets- och högskolerådets författningssamling)

The Swedish Council for Higher Education's (UHR) statute book is a collection of concrete interpretations of and advice regarding the Swedish Higher Education Act and Higher Education Ordinance.

The Statute Book for the Swedish Council of Higher Education (in Swedish)

4. Other laws and regulations

Besides those already mentioned, there are other laws that can affect you as a student or employee of a university. The Discrimination Act is one example. It forbids discrimination on the basis of sex, transgender identity or expression, ethnicity, religion or other belief, disability, sexual orientation or age. If you have a disability, you have the right to additional assistance. You can read more about this at Studera.nu, or contact the disability services coordinator at your university.

Access to assistance

Reporting a complaint

If you believe the university has broken the law or a regulation pertaining to higher education, such as the Higher Education Act or Higher Education Ordinance, you can report this to Universitetskanslersämbetet (The Swedish Higher Education Authority). They're not a court of law and cannot change a university or university college's decision, but they can review the case and give the university recommendations for measures they should take.

At Universitetskanslersämbetet, you can find information about complaints and how to report them.

Complaints to UKÄ (The Swedish Higher Education Authority)

Appealing a decision

The Higher Education Appeals Board (Överklagandenämnden) is the Swedish agency responsible for examining appeals regarding certain decisions in the higher education area. The agency can even examine appeals regarding higher vocational education. 

To appeal with the Higher Education Appeals Board

Page last updated 2023-03-13