Being an exchange student means that you study abroad as part of your Swedish education. You don’t have to pay tuition fees and a scholarship or grant is often included.

Most Swedish universities and university colleges have partnerships with overseas universities through various exchange programmes. For students, this means that an exchange programme provides the opportunity to study abroad for a fixed period as part of a Swedish programme.

The benefits of being an exchange student

To participate in an exchange programme, you must have been admitted to a Swedish university or university college. Studying as part of an exchange programme is counted as part of your Swedish education and you receive Swedish credits.

In general, you must study a certain number of credits at your Swedish university or university college before you can travel abroad. You are limited to choose from the courses and universities that have partnerships with your Swedish university.

Some of the advantages of an exchange programme are: 

  • Your university provides help with practical details.
  • The credits count towards your Swedish degree.
  • You don’t need to pay a tuition fee to the overseas university.
  • In some cases, an exchange programme means that you receive a scholarship or grant in addition to funding from the Swedish Board of Student Finance (CSN).

Common exchange programmes

There are a number of international student exchange programmes. Erasmus+ and Nordplus are two programmes in which the majority of Swedish universities participate. Erasmus+, which is the biggest programme, offers studies in Europe, while Nordplus has opportunities for studying in the Nordic and Baltic regions.

The Swedish Council for Higher Education has overall responsibility for these exchange programmes in Sweden, but students apply via their universities. You should also approach your university to find out more about your chances of participating and which countries and universities you could visit.

Local exchange programmes

Most universities have their own agreements for student exchanges with universities around the world. Many universities also offer courses or modules abroad.

Talk to your department or an international coordinator at your university to find out about the available exchanges. Heads of subject or study and careers guidance counsellors at your department can provide information about how credits can be transferred.

Page last updated 2023-12-05