If you have completed a foreign upper secondary education, you can apply for bachelor's studies in Sweden. Your abilities in Swedish and English are important in terms of what courses and programmes you're eligible for.

In order to be eligible for higher education studies in Sweden you must meet the general and specific entry requirements. This means that you must have completed certain studies in order to qualify. If you'd like to know what your previous studies are comparable to in Sweden, you can send your qualifications to the Swedish Council for Higher Education (Universitets- och högskolerådet, UHR) to find out if you meet the requirements. 

Find out more about recognition of foreign qualifications at uhr.se

Check that you have the correct prior knowledge

Regardless of which course or programme you apply for and what study background you have, you must meet the entry requirements in order to compete for a place.

These requirements are divided into general and specific entry requirements. For many courses and programmes, it’s enough to meet the general entry requirements. For others, an applicant must also meet the specific entry requirements.

If you have a completed upper secondary education that gives you eligibility for studies at the higher education level in the country where you studied, and meet the general requirements for Swedish and English (sometimes, a certain level of mathematics can also be a requirement), you meet the general entry requirements in Sweden.

Specific entry requirements vary depending on which course or programme you’ve applied to. Which courses are required depends on the programme’s specialisation. For example, if you apply for a social work programme, you need to have knowledge in the social sciences, while an engineering programme requires deeper knowledge in mathematics.

Read more about entry requirements at Universityadmissions.se

Do I need supplementary upper secondary courses?

If you don’t have grades in the courses that are required, you can take the missing courses at an adult education centre (komvux). Most municipalities offer adult education.

If you’ve taken a supplementary course in order to meet a higher education level course or programme’s entry requirements, you’ll be placed in a specific selection group which includes those who have supplementary courses.  If you only have taken courses to meet the general entry requirements (certain courses in Swedish, English and mathematics) you’ll be placed in the direct selection group.

Read more about adult education

Do I need to raise my merit rating?

If you wish to raise your grades, which gives you a better merit rating, you can take courses at komvux. This is called additional supplementation (tilläggskomplettering).

Another way to increase your chances of being offered a place is to take the Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test (Högskoleprovet). Students who have completed this test are placed in their own selection group.

Read more about the Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test (Högskoleprovet)

Page last updated 2019-05-29