You have to meet certain entry requirements in order to study at a university. Here, you can find an overview of what is required and the selection process.

In order to study at a university or university college in Sweden, you must have completed an upper secondary education, or its equivalent, at an upper secondary school in Sweden or another country.

You do not need to be a Swedish citizen or live in Sweden to study at a Swedish university -  higher education in Sweden is open to everyone. You do, however, need to be a citizen of an EU or EEA country or Switzerland, or have a residence permit in Sweden not based on studies, in order to be free from paying application and tuition fees. 

Information regarding fees at

There is no age limit for studying in Sweden; however, your ability to receive financial aid can decrease from the age of 47.

Information from CSN on eligibility

Two types of entry requirements

The first step to being offered a place in a course or programme is meeting the entry requirements. There are two types:

  • General entry requirements
  • Specific entry requirement

General entry requirements

In order to study at the university level, all applicants must meet the general entry requirements. For bachelor's level courses, this means having completed an upper secondary education or its equivalent and meeting any Swedish, English and mathematics requirements. Others ways of meeting these requirements, besides upper secondary school (high school) is through adult education or folk high school. For master's level programmes, you must have successfully completed a bachelor's programme (the equivalent of the Swedish kandidatexamen).

If you do not have what is required to meet the general entry requirements for bachelor's level studies, you can take the courses you need in order to meet the requirements. This can be accomplished at an adult education center (komvux) or folk high school (folkhögskolan).

For courses and programmes taught in Swedish, proof of Swedish skills are a general entry requirement. Swedish is not a requirement for international courses and programmes taught in English. You must meet the English requirement for courses and programmes taught in either language.

Specific entry requirements

Many courses and programmes have specific entry requirements. These can be certain course requirements from upper secondary school, special English requirements (at the master's level), or a specific bachelor's degree. These specific entry requirements are decided by the university offering the course and are in place to ensure a student has the right preparation.

Read more about bachelor's level requirements

Read more about master's level requirements

Selection process

When there are more eligible students than places available, a selection must take place to choose which applicants will be admitted. Depending on your study background - if you have upper secondary school grades, have taken the Högskoleprovet (SwedSAT), have studied at a Swedish Folk High School - you're placed in different selection groups. You compete with the rest of the people in your selection groups for places based on your results. The number of places that are offered in each selection group is dependent on how many applicants are in the different groups.

Selection based on grades

One of the common selection groups is the direct group (Group 1). This is based on final grades from upper secondary school, komvux or folk high school. Those with the best grades are ranked highest and have the best chance of being offered a place.

Since autumn 2010, you have the ability to add merit points from specific courses to your merit rating - this is the rating based on your academic background that you compete with in this group.

Read more about merit rating

Read more about selection

Completion group

If you've studied at an adult education school and have completed courses there in order to meet the eligibility requirements, you'll be placed in a Completion group (Group II). If you took classes at an adult education school in order to improve your grades, even though you already meet the eligibility requirements, you'll be placed in both the Completion group and Direct group.

Selection after folk high school

If you've studied at a folk high school, you'll compete in a group with others in the folk high school group.

Högskoleprovet (Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test)

If you take the Högskoleprovet, you'll be placed in a special selection group for everyone with a valid test result. You can also compete in the grades groups, depending on what type of grades you have.

The Högskoleprovet does not give you eligibility for higher education studies, but it does give you a better chance to be offered a place if you are eligible. For some courses and programmes, the Högskoleprovet is required.  .

Read more about the Högskoleprovet

University's own selection

A university can decide to offer places based on other factors, such as personal interviews or previous work experience. You can find out more at the university's website - each course and programme has specific information about what is required and how places are awarded.

Page last updated 2019-02-07