If you're a teacher with a teaching qualification from a foreign country, it's important to find out what you need in order to qualify to work as a teacher in Sweden. Your first step is to contact the Swedish National Agency for Education (Skolverket).

In 2011, the Swedish National Agency for Education was tasked with reviewing foreign teacher qualifications. Teachers in Sweden must be certified; this is a requirement in order to improve teacher skills and the quality of education.

What is the certification?

A teacher certificate states in which types of schools, which subjects, and which years a teacher is qualified to teach. This certification is required in order to teach at a school - only certified teachers can be offered permanent employment. All teachers in Sweden must have certification - both those that received their qualifications in Sweden, and those with foreign teaching qualifications.

If a teacher or pre-school teacher seriously neglects their work, their certification can be revoked. These decisions are reviewed and made by the Teachers' Disciplinary Board, located at the Swedish National Agency for Education. A teacher can also be issued a warning.

How do I get this certification?

Contact the Swedish National Agency for Education (Skolverket) to apply for certification.

Find out more about teacher certification at Skolverket's website


Page last updated 2019-03-13