Erasmus+ is well-known and regarded as advantageous by employers in Sweden and abroad. Take the chance to explore Europe!

Studying abroad or going on an overseas traineeship is an interesting and enjoyable challenge. It can provide new perspectives and broader knowledge, as well as provide opportunities to meet interesting people from Europe and other parts of the world. These experiences give you memories that will last a lifetime.

Erasmus+ students study at a higher education institution (university) in another European country for 3-12 months, on the same terms as the students of the host country. You do not need to pay any tuition fees and you also receive a grant from the European Commission.

Where can I study?

Erasmus+ allows you to study at universities in:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, North Macedonia, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Rumania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey and the United Kingdom.

Some islands and areas outside Europe, but which belong to or have links to the EU, are approved for studies (e.g. Réunion, Martinique, the Azores, Greenland, French Polynesia, Aruba, etc.).

One requirement is that there is an agreement between your home university and the relevant overseas university.

Courses and credit transfers

Your studies are conducted on the same terms as those for the host country’s students. If you pass the courses, you can transfer the credits to your Swedish programme. Teaching is often in the host country’s language and not only offers you the chance to learn a new language, but also to get to know another culture. Universities in many countries also offer courses in English.

You receive a grant

Erasmus+ students receive a grant from their university. The grant covers the extra costs associated with the overseas stay, but it doesn't cover everything. The size of the grant varies from 315 to 420 euro per month.

Language tests

Before you travel, you'll have to complete a test in the language you’ll be using during your studies or placement abroad. If, after the test, you feel that you may need to improve your language skills, it's possible to get help with this. A language test will also be carried out during your studies or placement period. Contact your university for more information.

You can also apply for a traineeship

If you want work experience abroad, Erasmus+ can help you find a traineeship at a company or organisation in one of the 33 countries that are included in Erasmus+ (same countries as listed in the paragraph under "Where can I study?"). Just like studying, the traineeship must be relevant to your education. The usual case is that you need to find a traineeship that is then approved by your university.

Find out more about Erasmus+ traineeships

Page last updated 2021-03-03