On this page, we provide answers to some of the most common questions about Erasmus+ student exchanges. For more detailed information, talk to your university.

Who do I talk to about applying for an Erasmus+ grant?

Talk to your study guidance counsellor, or the international officer at your department/the university at which you’re studying.

How much money can I receive through the Erasmus+ programme?

Everyone who is granted an exchange place as part of Erasmus+ also receives a grant. The amount varies depending on the country and the length of the exchange, but is between 360 and 460 euro per month.

Is my student funding reduced when I get an Erasmus+ grant?


Can I study a complete degree programme abroad as part of the Erasmus programme?

No. You can only study part of your degree abroad on the Erasmus+ programme. As a student, you can study in another European country for 3-12 months and your exchange studies should be able to have their credits transferred to your Swedish degree. However, it's possible to apply for European student funding for a Master’s programme in another European country.

Are other grants or scholarships available?

The Swedish Institute administers a number of different programmes with individual grants. There are also numerous grant-giving organisations and foundations that offer funding. Many libraries have grant/scholarship handbooks that provide more information. Keep in mind that you may not receive more than one grant from the EU or the Swedish Council for Higher Education per period of study.

The Swedish Council for Higher Education also administers grants for studying outside Europe. Minor Field Studies (MFS) and Linnaeus-Palme may be available at your university. Talk to your study guidance counsellor, or the international office to find out more.

Find out more about Minor Field Studies (MFS

Find out more about Linnaeus-Palme

When is the application deadline for an Erasmus+ place?

The date varies between universities. For more information, talk to your study guidance counsellor or the Erasmus+ representative at your department or university.

Can I take part in an Erasmus+ exchange more than once?

Yes, although with some limitations.

The maximum permitted time is 12 months for exchanges (studies and/or traineeship) per cycle. This means 12 months for Bachelor’s/first cycle, 12 months for Master’s/second-cycle and 12 months for doctoral/third-cycle.

If I have a disability, can I receive extra funding for a student exchange?

Yes. A great deal is done within Erasmus+ to make it easier for people with disabilities to participate in exchanges. For example, you can get extra funding for special transports, personal assistants, assistance during lectures, specialist material, etc. Talk to your university for more information.

Does the Swedish Council for Higher Education help with visa applications?

No. Talk to the Erasmus+ representative at your university for advice.

Find out more about residence permits and visas

Can I have the credits transferred after an Erasmus+ exchange?

Yes. You study on the same terms as the host country’s students and can have all your credits transferred through the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). For more information, talk to the study guidance counsellor at your department or the international office at your university.

Can anyone travel abroad via Erasmus+?

There are no citizenship requirements for participation in Erasmus+, but you must be registered at a Swedish university. You must also have studied at least one year in higher education before your exchange. Ask the study guidance counsellor at your department about the opportunities available to you.

Page last updated 2021-03-03